Now that we are all least
40 60 years old it is probably safe to admit to
things that won't get us in trouble with our parents anymore. Right!?
So I would like to start a statistics page which gets to the point of some
of the daring exploits of the many students of Campion.
So far I do not have the database engine set up to do this but we can
still have fun just proposing the questions. Go ahead and compose the
questions and submit them here.
For example, these are just a few of the things I heard rumors of...
And of course, the bonus question I personally would like to know is;
- Did you sell goodies from your "care package" from your parents to your
classmates? Who had those great candied apples?
- Did you ever sneak off campus to dive (or jump) off the train tresle into
the Wisconsin River?
- Did you ever sneak across the Missisippi Bridge using the cat-walk?
- Did you ever sneak off campus in a john boat (or other) to spend time at
that cool bar on the banks of the Missisippi River north of Prairie du Chien?
- Did you ever sneak off campus to see a R-rated (equiv 'C'ondemed) movie
in town? Did they let you in???
- Did you really "go anywhere" in the steam tunnels?
- How many times did YOU go for a mid-night swim in Hoffman Hall pool?
- Did you ever sneak around in the condemned parts of Kostka hall?
- How many beers were you "really" able to hold down in one night?
- Were you one of those people who snuck beer out of the Jebbies cafeteria??
- Did you ever "actually" get into Whistlers when it was a strip joint
and before the age limit was lowered to 18?
- Do you still have dreams ( or nightmares ) about finding your way around
any of the dorms or halls in the middle of the night?
- Does anyone really know what happened to Kostka hall?
- Who got to work on the Radio equipment in Kostka Hall before it was
Who put the EX-LAX in my chocolate milk?? You wouldn't do this, would you?
I'd like to see more serious and truly nostalgic questions also.
- I always wondered what it was like to live in the "dorms" on the
upper floors of Kostka Hall and Campion Hall. Does anybody have first hand
- For those of us who were priviledged to work behind the scenes, act on
stage, or just sit in the audience, what was the most memorable play put
on in the Kostka Hall Play House?
Of Mice and Men did it for me!
- Does anybody remember if the Play House had an actual name?
- What was the largest Bon-Fire built for homecoming?
- What was the record for re-building the Bon-Fire due to the pre-ignition
of such by the rival schools?
- And, which schools were those for each episode?
- What other extracurricular activities were memorable?
Tobogining and Skiing and winter camping in the bluffs east of
Camping on the Mississippi Island Beaches.
Believe it or not even I enjoyed the Retreats at Wyalusing. Do I remember
it right? We were not generally allowed to talk during these retreats. We were
like monks! I keep telling my wife this is a key point of retreats which
they don't do these days. Oh well!
What are some of the great phrases we learned?
- Vestus Virum Reddit.
- Venimus Vidimus Vicimus.
- Voici! Voila!
I hope someone can come up with some great Nostalgia for ROTC happenings.
I remember the awe of the formal dances the ROTC guys had.
What about those not so fun episodes I am sure everyone experienced in the
pre-dawn days of anti-hazing.
- What were the names of those hazing methods we were subjected to as
Freshman by the Sophmores?
- What did they call that thing where they dragged us by our feet bare-ass
through the snow???
- Does anybody remember the face and or name of the person that gave them
their first snuggy?
I sure come up blank! I just remember they were Sophmores. It
was kind of neat though how the Seniors would then punish the Sophmores in
kind. And then of course when we were Sophmores it was the Juniors.
- What about that introduction to Rugby? Man, that was an excuse to wipe us out!
I like to think that the hazing fad was not continued after the
class of '72. We took it, but generally made an effort NOT to continue the
tradition. This was one tradition that was not very fun.
Perhaps someday there will be enough responses to these questions to
statistically determine if that was true.
It was unfortunate though that when I went to college I discovered that
similiar hazing methods were in use on unexpecting Freshman. I have to
admit, though, this is one area where the Campion College Preparatory Curriculum
really paid off. I was prepared and the poor other students just arriving
from regular high schools were in shock of what was coming down on them.
What are the odds we can get some Nostalgia points of view from some of the
Jebbies and other staff that ever worked at Campion? Now that we are at least
the age at which they were when they watched over us I am sure we could now
easily relate (or is the right word sympathize).